Once admitted to the program, you must complete a required total of 90 hours, the minimum degree requirements. All requirements must be completed before a student is admitted to candidacy. These include:
- 6 required core courses (24 credits).
- Topically appropriate electives offered in AAADS or by adjunct faculty (5 credits). Discuss your choices of electives outside of the department with the director of graduate studies.
- Additional elective courses (21 credits), including 3 credits in an overseas study graduate course that is approved by the director of graduate studies.
- 6 hours of foreign language of the African diaspora.
- 15 hours in an outside minor.
- Pre-candidacy qualifying examination.
- Final examination (defense of the dissertation).