Requirements for the M.A. in AAADS – 26 credit hours minimum
- Required courses in AAADS (10-12)
- Electives (12 credits minimum): Students should take courses organized around a topical concentration, whether specifically regional or comparative. These courses are to be selected from the range of AAADS and those cross-listed AAADS in the College and several professional schools with the approval of the student’s major advisors in Creative Writing and AAADS.
- A698 Field Study Seminar (4-8): research and preparation of thesis essay. Students can take two semesters of A698 at four hours per semester (one semester in thesis research and one semester for thesis writing).
- Language requirement (two semesters – 6 hours)
Requirements for the M.F.A. in Creative Writing – at least 60 credit hours—48 in residence
- 16 hours of workshops (poetry or fiction)
- Four courses (12-16 hours) in AAADS literature, culture, and history, at least two of which must be at the 600 level or above
- W554 Teaching Creative Writing
- W664 Topics in Current Literature or W680 Theory and Craft of Writing
- 10 elective graduate hours
- Maximum of 12 hours for thesis credit
- Please see director of creative writing for course approval or AAADS director of graduate studies for courses outside the College of Arts and Sciences.